Truckee Tribe Social Media Agreement
Social media can be a useful tool to communicate with classmates, friends, family and more. Social media can also be dangerous if you are not careful. Every picture, link, quote, tweet, status, video or post that you or your friends put online is forever a part of your digital footprint. You never know when that will come back to hurt or help your reputation throughout your life- whether applying for college, being selected for a team, trying for a scholarship, or hoping to be hired by a company.
Recognizing the above:
• I am aware that I represent my community, sports team, school, and family at all times and will do so in a positive manner.
• I take responsibility for my online profile, including my posts and any photos, videos or other recordings posted by others in which I appear.
• I will post only positive things about and not degrade my classmates, teammates, opponents or anyone else in a negative way. I will only post things that are respectful, positive, relevant, honest, true, important, and reflect values important to me.
• I will not post or forward posts or videos that include racism, discrimination, derogatory comments, threats, references to sexual abuse or violence
• I will use social media to purposefully promote my community, social values, school, team etc.
• I will consider “Is this the me I want you to see?” before I post anything online.
• I will ignore any negative comments about me and will not retaliate.
• If I see a classmate or teammate post something potentially negative online, I will have a conversation with that person. If I do not feel comfortable doing so, I will talk to a counselor, coach, teacher, parents, student leader etc.
• I am aware that posting in a negative manner (i.e. in team uniform, on school campus, at community events, etc.) may result in consequences.